Wednesday, July 27

Tomato-Gouda Shrimp over Polenta

Ok guys, after that last one let's do something a little lighter, shall we? Because I'm still living in a world where THIS CAKE is in my fridge and I'm slowly chipping away at it. With some help of course, but it's still not getting any better for my thighs. ...SO WORTH IT.

And just like that I'm talking about avocado frosting again. Oops.


OMG, POLENTA!


Yesterday I went to the dentist. "Why do I care?" you ask. Well you probably don't. But this is my blog and if I want to tell you, you've got to read! Actually you don't. You could just skip ahead to the recipe. Or close this window entirely. But I digress! So yesterday I went to the dentist (no cavities!!) and of course I couldn't let that go by without a small homage to my boy David.


Unfortunately, I didn't have nearly that much fun on my trip to the dentist. Although, when I had my wisdom teeth taken out I had that much fun. I stole a magazine from the waiting room and giggled about it the whole way home. True story. Ran through the parking lot with it and everything. My poor mother. How. Embarrassing.


Anyway, I consider going to the dentist to be an accomplishment, because it sucks. I could also consider my first experience cooking with polenta an accomplishment. (Add another one to the list! Who's keeping track again?) Ok, confession: I bought a pre-made variety that came in a tube. It was bouncy and very interesting indeed. I added some water and made a "mush". Think grits. (I LOVE GRITS!) It was alright. Then I looked up some recipes for the stuff. Looks so easy! Who knew? Next time I'll just make my own.


But I wanted to share the rest of the recipe, because it was so easy and quick and it really hit the spot! A little spicy and a little sweet. It pairs really well with the polenta-mush. Is there a technical term for that?


Soundtrack: Isolee - We Are Monster


Tomato-Gouda Shrimp over Polenta
(serves 3-4)


1 lb shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 clove garlic
14 oz can diced tomatoes
1/4 c. chicken stock
1 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
5- 1 in cubes of gouda cheese (sorry, that's my measurement.. 5 cubic inches of gouda)
6-7 leaves of fresh basil
EVOO
Salt & Pepper
1 lb polenta, prepared and mashed into a "mush" (add some water)


In a saute pan, heat a drizzle of EVOO over medium heat. Salt & pepper the shrimp and add to the oil. Saute, stirring every so often, until fully cooked. Remove to a bowl and set aside.


Add a bit more EVOO to the pan. Add garlic and toast, stirring fairly consistently, just until it begins to brown to open the flavor. Add tomatoes (with liquid), stock, red pepper flakes and oregano. Season with salt & pepper. Bring sauce to a boil and simmer until reduced, about 7-10 minutes.


Once sauce is reduced and while the heat is still on, stir in gouda cheese. Break up the cheese with a spatula until melted into the sauce.


Remove from heat and stir in the shrimp. Serve over polenta and garnish with a few leaves of fresh basil.


We only had whole tomatoes,
Cue Jeremy, dicer extraordinaire!

Got his dice on!

Skrrriiiimp!

Let there be sauce!

Looks like butter, but it's just pieces of the moon

Ready to go...

I love fresh basil!

Would you like some?

No comments:

Post a Comment