Sunday, February 5

Simple Spicy Chicken Cattiatore

Happy Super Bowl Sunday Amurika! Dip things in cheese! Cover them in buffalo sauce! BBQ something at least...

Right about now we should all be gearing up for the big showdown. The end of the football season  and greatest food event known to February (only b/c we had to extend the football season a few years ago, before that it was a tie between National Pancake Day and various restaurant weeks). 

But I figured everyone is probably sorta bored in a meantime. Unless of course you've started drinking early or you live somewhere warm. I know I sure was; I finished my first and only scrapbook today, which I started to commemorate my first trip to Europe about 4 years ago. So, life points for me.

So I figured I'd share a recipe.


And this. Because it made me laugh.

And this video, because it's relevant and hilarious. 




But let's get on with the recipe, shall we?

 I know we've had this discussion before, over this meat sauce. Authentic chicken cattiatore ain't got no tomate-ers either. But I bend the rules because I'm an American. And Olive Garden.

Look at all those tomatoes!
This is a pretty simple chicken dish. Healthy. Perfect for pasta. Or great without pasta on the day after you eat way too much, while pretending to care about football. Delicious, with just a bit of heat (or more if you like!).

Soundtrack:


 

Simple Spicy Chicken Cattiatore
Serves 3-4

1 clove garlic, minced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 small onion, diced
chicken breasts, cleaned and cut into bite-sized pieces
1-28 oz can whole, peeled tomatoes, coarsely chopped, retain about 1/3 cup liquid
1/4-1/2 tsp red pepper flakes (depending on tastes)
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp rosemary
1-2 tbsp grated Pecorino-Romano cheese
salt, pepper, EVOO

In a large saute pan, heat EVOO over medium heat. Add garlic, peppers, carrots and onion. Saute for 5-10 minutes, or until the onions are translucent. Add chicken and continue to cook until chicken is cooked through.

Add tomatoes, red pepper flakes, oregano and rosemary. Salt and pepper to taste. Bring liquid to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10-15 minutes until reduced slightly.

Serve over pasta or rice or with a salad. Top with cheese.

(Told you it was simple...)




No comments:

Post a Comment