Sunday, March 11

Rhubarb & Coconut Almond Muffins

There is something so soothing about listening to British sports. 


I didn't actually put the game on, but I didn't change the channel when Adam passed out on the couch either. So, right now I'm sitting in my living room listening to a British soccer "match" ... alone. I could, and should for the sake being a normal individual, change it because I really couldn't give a shit about the action... but oooh.. the accents...




So I'm sitting here writing about muffins, while listening to British men blah blah blah. Or I guess bloah bloah bloah in this case. (That was me being a Brit, in case that wasn't obvious.)






It rules. Try it out.

Any way! These muffins, man! These muffins! I've made them a few times now, different variations, but always keeping certain essential elements involved. That recipe is what you will see below minus the rhubarb. I've dabbled by mixing in craisins or rhubarb - the rhubarb being my favorite add in - and making them without either. I liked the little bit of tart that it added, but the coconut shines a lot more without. You could totally leave out the rhubarb and just have a delicious coconut almond flavor.


Also, I've really been feeling muffins lately. If coconut isn't your thing here are some oldies, but goodies from this blog:


Dried Apricot Gingerbread Muffins
Rosemary Cardamom Pumpkin Muffins
Raspberry Sweet Potato Muffins

Soundtrack: 

Rhubarb & Coconut Almond Muffins
Yield: 24 muffins



1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 3/4 c ap flour
1 stick (8 tbsp) butter, room temperature

1 1/2 c sugar
4 eggs
1 1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 c greek yogurt
3/4 c shredded coconut, plus more for topping

2 stalks rhubarb, diced

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line 2 muffin tins with paper liners and spray the bottoms with cooking spray.

In a medium sized bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt. Set aside.

In another bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until fluffy using an electric mixer. Beat in the eggs. Add both extracts and the yogurt and beat until combined.

Set aside the mixer and use a spatula to stir in the dry ingredients. Stir until just combined; do not over-stir. The batter will seem thick and more dough-like than is typical for a muffin or cake batter. Add in the coconut and rhubarb and stir until just combined.

Scoop the batter into the muffin cups, filling about 2/3 of the way. Top the muffins with a bit of shredded coconut and bake for 20 mins. Remove from pan and cool on a rack until completely cooled.




No comments:

Post a Comment