Thursday, September 20

Curried Turkey Chili


Sometimes I wish that a picture could capture and share taste. I can post a picture for you and make you drool over what I've made, but unless you feel like laboring in the kitchen yourself, I can't really share with you. And.. I'm all about sharing.

Today, I wish I could share the feeling of eating something warm on a the first chilly (or in this case chili.. har har har) day of the fall. The smell of a newly lit pumpkin candle. The satisfaction of a few crunchy leaves on the ground. The beauty of a bright sunny day that doesn't make you run and hide indoors because it's just too hot. 

I wish I could share opening a new jar of my mom's homemade concord grape jelly. Or pulling on a sweater outside for the first time in months (I've been rocking one every day indoors for months now, but that's just an over-air conditioning issue).

But I'm sure you have your own favorite fall stuff. Please share it in the comments! Fall is my favorite season so get ready to listen to me raving on about it for the next couple months.

Make a chili. Make a soup.. or a stew. Make an apple dessert. Throw some butternut squash into something. Drink a pumpkin beer or three. Fall is about comfort. It's not too hot, not too cold. It's cozy. Let's share that.



Curried Turkey Chili
Serves 3-4

1 tbsp EVOO
1 lb lean ground turkey
2 cloves garlic, smashed
1 small onion, diced
2 tbsp chili powder, divided
2 tsp curry powder, divided
1/2 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 c chicken stock
1 tbsp flour
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp coriander
1 can diced tomatoes
1 red bell pepper, diced
1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
salt & pepper

In a medium dutch oven or stock pot, heat 1 tbsp EVOO over medium heat. Add turkey, garlic, onion, 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tsp curry powder, and 1/2 tsp smoked paprika. Add a couple small pinches of salt and pepper. Saute the meat until browned, stirring every couple of minutes.

While the meat is browning, whisk flour into the chicken stock until combined.

Once the meat is browned, add flour and stock mixture, oregano, cumin, coriander, diced tomatoes (including juices), bell pepper and sweet potatoes. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring this to a boil.

Once chili is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, for 35-40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Salt & pepper to taste. Serve warm.








No comments:

Post a Comment