Friday, September 2

Spiced Craisin-Carrot Breakfast Cookies

Cookies. For breakfast. 
Best meal of the day
No, no, not Cooooookie Crisp.


I wish I could take credit for the idea, because I love when I have great ideas, but I can't. I found this fabulous idea here, from Joy the Baker. Her cookies are also vegan! I made them. It was my first vegan baking experience! The texture and consistency were phenomenal; I was so surprised/relieved. Joy, one of my all time favorite food bloggers (she's genuinely talented AND genuinely human), is the genius behind the cookies for breakfast revolution. Her post (which was adorable and you should read as well... right after mine of course) really took me back to childhood. When I all I wanted to do was be a grown up. Because grown ups do what they want, of course. If only I could just go back and shake myself, a la Billy Madison. Tell myself to pull a Peter Pan. Van Wilder my college years a bit. 


But you know what they say about seaweed.


But as adults, we all know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day. So what am I doing promoting these baked goods as your new favorite morning meal? These are actually good for you! These cookies contain all the right stuff to get you started in the AM in a more-fun-to-eat-than-muffins sort of way. These contain: 1) Greek yogurt for protein 2) Craisins for the antioxidants 3) Carrot for vitamins and beta-carotene 4) Oats for fiber 5) Ginger which is good for your immune system 6) Millet, a good source of minerals and fiber, and 7) Honey, which boosts your energy and is also great for your immune system. And I swear, they taste good. I always feel like I have to swear healthy things taste good. Sad. Anyway, they have a scone-like texture and spicy, yet sweet complexity.

So here's to eating cookies for breakfast... and feeling good about it too!


Soundtrack: 
Chromeo by Chromeo



Spiced Craisin-Carrot Breakfast Cookies
Adapted from Joy the Baker
Yields 2 dozen cookies

1 1/2 c flour
1 c oats
3 tbsp dry millet
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg (my favorite!)
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c
greek yogurt
1/4 c vegetable oil
1/2 c honey
1 heaping c carrot, finely shredded
1/2 c dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
2 tsp fresh ginger, finely chopped

Preheat oven to 350.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oats, millet, cinnamon, nutmeg, baking powder, salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together all remaining ingredients. Use a spatula to fold the dry ingredients into the wet until combined. Allow the dough to stand for 5 minutes.

Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper or these amazing things:
Use a large table spoon to scoop dough out onto cookie sheets. Dough will be sticky, but try to flatten just a bit. Bake for 10 minutes. After removal from oven, allow to cool for about 5 minutes on the cookie sheets, before transferring to a drying wrack.

Carrots... for breakfast? Is that weirder than cookies?
Great grain!
Like laundry... folding.. duh
Little breakfast treats

No comments:

Post a Comment