Tuesday, September 6

Sesame Shrimp Fried Rice with Cabbage

I realized something tonight. And it's something I'm really awful at. Want to know what it is?

Jeopardy.

I don't think I have ever gotten a single question right before it's answered, even when I know that I know the answer. I crack under pressure. I'm more of a walnut, less of a Brazil nut (they're really hard to crack, vs walnuts, which are easy). Seriously, I read the question slowly and can't seem to focus. I think of the answer and then choke. And by that time, we've moved on to the next question anyway. Classic stage fright symptoms, you name it, it happens to me. Maybe it's the song. Who knows, but I feel the pressure.

This is why I think anyone who is actually good at Jeopardy is probably a robot. Ken Jennings, you, sir, are definitely a robot.

But let's talk about something I'm good at, shall we? Because that's more fun for me. 

Yea, it's food.. Good guess!
It's no secret, I love ginger.
I put it in cookies... 
And in my oatmeal...
I hang out with this ginger all the time...
It's also no secret that I love shrimp!

You've seen it over polenta...

And in burritos...
Scallions? Yes, please.  Sesame seeds? Sign me up. Fried rice? Sure! And this is brown fried rice with less fat that's actually not greasy? Ok, ok, I'll have two, thanks. So, here's an opportunity to make something easy, quick, and delicious for yourself. So you can be good at this food thing too! It's not just for robots.

And just to prove how much I love you, here is something hilarious to read so you can forget about how hungry all these pictures are making you, if it's not dinner time: funny stuff.


And here is some throwback music you can groove to:

Soundtrack: The Sounds - Myspace playlist

Sesame Shrimp Fried Rice with Cabbage
Adapted from Ellie Krieger 

4 c cooked brown rice, very cold (freezer cold)
1 drizzle EVOO
4 scallions, white and green parts, sliced thinly
1 tbsp ginger, peeled and chopped
1 clove garlic, chopped
1 lb small shrimp, deveined and peeled
4 c thinly sliced red cabbage, cut crosswise into 3 in pieces
2 large eggs
1 tbsp sesame oil
4 tbsp low-sodium soy sauce
2 tbsp sesame seeds, pan toasted until golden brown (about 1 minute)

Heat a drizzle of olive oil in a wok or large pan over medium heat. Add scallions, ginger, garlic and shrimp. Cook about 2-3 minutes, until shrimp turn pink. Add cabbage and continue to cook for 3-4 minutes until cabbage begins to soften. Transfer to another bowl and set aside.

Spray a small fry pan with nonstick pan spray and drop 2 eggs into the pan. Fry until cooked through and chop into small pieces using the spatula.

Meanwhile, heat the sesame oil over medium heat in the same pan used for the shrimp and cabbage. Toss in the rice and cook for about 5 minutes, spreading it evenly, then stirring, then spreading it evenly again, about every 30 seconds.

Once the rice is heated, add soy sauce, eggs, shrimp and cabbage, and sesame seeds. Continue to cook until combined for another 2-3 minutes. Serve. 


Giant scallion. Huge.

Red cabbage... except it's really purple...
Work space... ready to fry!
Too much green here!
Yea purple! Finished product. I will take 2, thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment