Wednesday, June 1

Chile Spiced Chicken Skewers with Sweet Corn and Rice Salad

  • Well! That's a mouthful (pun intended).

Pinned ya!

  • I love summer-time grilling as much as the next guy, but I can only eat so many pieces of grilled chicken breast before I start to wish it was winter again (I TAKE IT BACK!! I TAKE IT BACK!!). Maybe it's a little early in the season for that and maybe I just really like chili. Who can say? Regardless, this dish uses geometry to make  you feel like you're changing it up a bit (it's an illusion!). Serve it with this sweet corn and rice salad, which balances out the spice and adds an element of freshness. It's a great way to use the grill, or have a Sue use the grill (thanks Jer!).
Before we get started, I have to admit this dish was a lucky accident (Is that redundant? No, some accidents are unlucky!). I originally intended to make more of a Moroccan inspired skewer, but I was missing a lot of key ingredients. I had a sauce that was going with it that failed miserably. Then, after that disaster Sue was almost done with the chicken, so this side dish was another happy accident created in a panic. Poor Adam and Jeremy, they had no idea what they were getting themselves into. I feel better now that I have confessed. For penance, I will say 8 Hail Mary's. But honestly, this was really really really good despite all of that. So try it. I dare you.

Soundtrack: Battles - Glass Drop

Chile Spice Chicken Skewers

  • 1 tbsp paprika
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 tsp sugar
  • 1 tsp kosher salt (I had used more, but we felt it could be reduced. Feel free to increase based on preference)
  • 1 1/2 tsp medium chili powder
  • 1 1/2 tsp oregano
  • 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into hearty sized chunks
  • 2 red bell peppers, cut into 1 1/2 in. pieces
  • skewers! (also fun to poke people with)
Turn grill on to preheat. Combine the dry ingredients (spices or what have you) in a bowl. Add chicken and mix to coat (make sure all pieces of chicken are fully coated). Stick on skewers, alternating between pieces of chicken and pieces of pepper. Make sure to stick as much of the skewer through as much of the chicken as possible; keep in mind you don't want it to fall off in grilling. Grill until cooked through.

Sweet Corn and Rice Salad

1-15 oz can sweet corn (or equivalent in cobs; I know this is sorta sacrelidge, like I said, Hail Mary's for me)
1 c. brown rice, raw (cook according to package directions, which I believe becomes 2 cups)
1/2 c. fresh basil, chopped
drizzle of apple cider vinegar
drizzle of EVOO

Combine corn, cooked rice and basil in a bowl. Toss with vinegar and oil. Serve! (That was easier on paper than in my head HAHA)
 
Ready to perform the surgery, sir!

Make sure to coat chicken entirely!

Lined up and ready to go!

Match made in heaven!

Mmmm grilled!

No comments:

Post a Comment