Wednesday, June 15

Cilantro Lime Pork Chops

Mmm. Cilantro. Mmm. Citrus. Mmm. PORK.

Serving Suggestion: STARCH!
Actually, I just keep conveniently forgetting that corn is NOT a vegetable
Jer keeps reminding me... damn him!
See here's the thing. Pork chops can be tough to cook. Because they get tough. (har har har) There is literally nothing worse than chewing on a tough pork chop, trying to cover it up with barbecue sauce, hanging your head in shame.. (yea that's what bbq sauce reminds me of... sad) So how can you make this not happen? Honestly, I have no idea. Was that a huge let down? I'm sorry. Things that I do know: every time I've ever baked pork chops they've been tough, I've had lots of luck with grilling them, bone-in pork chops are tougher to make tough (that's not going to get old for me, I'm sorry... not). It's also my theory that because I buy cheaper pork chops, they are fattier, and therefore more forgiving (like sweatpants! or Joey's thanksgiving pants). I think that's probably accurate. Anyway, I cooked the boneless chops I used in this recipe over the grill and they came out perfectly. No marinade. No sauce. If that makes you nervous, you're normal. But it worked. I shrug my shoulders. Anyway, tried and true, just don't overcook and you'll get the perfect chop. Mmm pork.

Speaking of Joey's Thanksgiving pants, it's been coming to my attention more and more that not everyone in the world has seen every episode of Friends ever. This boggles my mind and makes me feel sad for you all. BEST. SHOW. EVER. I've actually been watching some re-re-re-re-runs on TV lately... gets me every time. I love cheesy jokes though, in case you hadn't noticed. One liners, silly puns, etc. Oooooh, the great American sitcom. I miss you. Snookie: "the poof" will never be as cool as "the Rachel".

Wait, were we making something? Oh yea. Cilantro Lime Pork Chops. Tender pork. The citrus-y sauce compliments the taste of the grilled meat well (definitely cook over a grill flame where possible!). And then cilantro. Great weeknight summer dish; easy and not a lot of time spent in a hot kitchen. So let's get started! (Original recipe from Epicurious)

Just a side note about my side dishes in the picture above: 1) Brown rice and wild rice tossed with salt, pepper, scallions and juice from 1/2 an orange (meh, should've used more orange, but it had potential) 2) Corn, rolled in a little bit of butter and seasoned with chili powder (good! try this!). I'd definitely suggest making some sort of grain (rice, couscous, what have you) to drizzle extra sauce on. 

Soundtrack: Eliza Newman (catchy! adorable! ukulele!) 

Cilantro Lime Pork Chops

1/4 c fresh lime juice
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 c EVOO
2 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
boneless pork chops
salt and pepper (to season)

Combine lime juice, garlic, pepper flakes, salt, EVOO and cilantro in a bowl. Stir with a whisk.

Sprinkle chops with salt and pepper. Grill over medium-high heat (depending on thickness, check cooking times!) until cooked through.

To serve, pour 1/4 of the cilantro-lime sauce over each chop.

Fresh!

Chop! Chop! Chop! Pork Chop!

Finished sauce

Din!
:)

No comments:

Post a Comment