Monday, May 21

Banana Walnut Breakfast Bars


My most favorite part of weekends is waking up and laying in bed for a while. Then eventually making my way downstairs and cooking delicious brunch. I don't have any kids, my dog can sleep in until 12 PM.... and I've got a lot of free time.


But all this taking time in the morning to make a good meal is an afforded luxury that I am only privy too because... well... I don't have to go to work on the weekend. During the week, I usually scarf down bites from a bowl of cereal whenever I transition from blowing dry my hair to flat ironing it to putting on eyeliner to pouring my coffee. Cereal can be subbed out with yogurt or granola or maybe a muffin if I'm feeling a little crazy.




One thing that I like to keep around for those mornings when I oversleep and don't have time to dry my hair or put on eyeliner and therefore can't simultaneously eat cereal are breakfast bars.


I'm pretty big on Odwalla bars. They're super healthy (or so they tell me...) and I have a thing for the texture. These Banana Walnut Breakfast Bars are my best attempt at a homemade banana Odwalla bar. They're sugar free (I used agave not fake sugar) and full of oats and banana. Walnuts for protein and raisins for well... being delicious. 


Oh! And! Speaking of alternative breakfast foods. Try these breakfast cookies too. Don't worry they're healthy as can be; my mom would never let me anywhere near cookie crisp either.


Soundtrack: 


Banana Walnut Breakfast Bars
Adapted from Food.com
Makes ~9 breakfast sized bars


1 1/2 c flour
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp fresh ground nutmeg

1/4 tsp cardamom
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 c butter, softened
1/2 c agave nectar
1 large egg
3 ripe bananas, mashed
1 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 c quick oats
3/4 c walnuts
3/4 c raisins

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.


In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, salt, baking soda, nutmeg, cardamom, and cinnamon. Set aside.


In a large bowl, beat the butter, agave and egg together until combined. The butter will not completely cream together with the agave nectar as it would with sugar, but it should be thoroughly mixed.


Add the bananas and vanilla and beat until smooth. 


Add the flour mixture and oats and stir with a spatula until just combined. The batter should be fairly thick and spreadable. If it's too runny add 1/4 c more oats and stir again until combined.


Grease a 9x13 in pan and spread the batter into the pan, smoothing over the top. Bake in preheated oven for ~20 minutes, or until golden brown on top.


Cool in pan and cut into 9 pieces.





No comments:

Post a Comment