Saturday, July 23

Slime Time Cake (Dark Chocolate Cake with Avocado "Buttercream")

This is true: I have been dreaming about making this cake since a trip to Capogiro 5 days ago brought the combination of avocado and dark chocolate gelato flavors into my life. I actually woke up this morning and starting making it instead of breakfast. I just frosted the cake about 15 minutes ago. Everyone in my apartment has already eaten a piece. We are all now obsessed with avocado frosting. Adam just saw the bowl from the frosting in the sink and yelled at me for not letting him lick it, oops. Then I ran immediately to my computer so I could share this with everyone (I get really excited about cake... well, food in general). This is a lie: I definitely couldn't eat another piece.


Ooo... Goo!
Remember slime? Ya know, that green goop that was dumped on contestants of every old-school Nickelodeon game show ever?  It probably saw it's height of popularity with the game show Slime Time Live, but it was definitely a long running gag that was synonymous with the TV channel for most of my childhoodI'm sure I'm not alone in that I always wanted to be "slimed" watching this as a kid. I've still never actually met anyone who was slimed on Nickelodeon, which I think it weird considering how long this whole thing went on for. Seriously, if you've ever been slimed on Nick, hit me up. Let's be friends. I need to check that off my bucket list.


In any event, this frosting reminds me of slime. And I like it.


Avocado frosting? I know, it sounds weird. But here's the thing. It totally makes sense! Hear me out. Avocado has a very high fat content, but it's healthy (monounsaturated, but don't ask me what that means) fat that is good for your heart. Most frosting is made by combining a solid fat and powdered sugar. See? See? And you better believe this will be the healthiest frosting you have ever eaten! Relax, I'm not suggesting that this frosting is GOOD for you. Just pointing out that if you're gonna stuff yourself full of fatty, sugary goodness, it might as well be something other than Crisco.


I promise it doesn't taste like a guacamole covered chocolate cake. AT ALL. Not even a little bit. It tastes sweet and vanilla-like, with just enough of a hint of avocado taste to balance the chocolate cake fantastically!


Soundtrack: Primus (Prep for the Tower Theatre show.. in October)


Dark Chocolate Cake with Avocado "Buttercream"


Dark Chocolate Cake (Recipe from AllRecipes.Com)


2 c. boiling water
  • 1 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 2 3/4 c. all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 c. butter, softened
  • 2 1/4 c. sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

  • Preheat oven to 350 and grease 3-9' cake pans.

  • In a medium bowl, pour boiling water over the cocoa power and whisk together until dissolved. Set aside; this will need to cool completely before use (I let it cool a little, then stuck it in the fridge).

  • Sift the flour into another medium bowl, then whisk in baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Set this aside.

  • In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar for 2-3 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs. Beat in the vanilla.

Using a spoon, stir in 1/3 of the flour mixture. Then, 1/3 of the cocoa (completely cooled). Scrape down the sides and continue in this pattern until the cake batter is thoroughly combined. Pour the batter evenly into the three pans and bake for 25-30 minutes.


Allow to cool completely before frosting!


Avocado Buttercream (From Alton Brown, made with 1 small tweak)
Makes 2 c. (You might want to double this or make 1 1/2 batches. I did wish for more!)


2 med avocados
2 tsp lemon juice
1 lb powdered sugar, may use more depending on consistency
1 tsp vanilla extract


Peel and pit the avocados. Place the meat of the avocado in a large bowl. Try to avoid the brown bits because the color will be important. Add lemon juice and beat with a mixer until the avocado lightens in color, about 2-3 minutes.


Begin to add the powdered sugar, a little at a time. Beat until each addition of sugar is combined. Based on the consistency and your tastes, you may need more (I needed a bite more). Once the sugar is blended, beat in the vanilla.


This frosting needs to be kept in the refrigerator, but thanks to the lemon, it will not turn brown!


3 bowls! 1 cake!

I like how I can see myself sifting!

Filling up those bowls...



Batter up!


Flesh!!!!

Juicy..





Cue the slime horn...



No comments:

Post a Comment