Wednesday, May 16

Sauteed Chicken with Brown Butter and Sage

Because brown butter is so hawt right now.


I go through phases with blogging guys. Sometimes I can't wait to post a recipe. Sometimes I have too many and I just want to keep creating. 

I've been creating. 

I mean... I'm new here, so I forgot about the posting part.


For now, brown butter. And let's talk sage for a minute. I love love  the smell of sage. Not burning sage (#hippies). But ya know, the kind I cook with. The kind I put in stuffing and.... um... yea about that... I don't use sage nearly enough. I'm sure alotta other people don't either. It's that one herb which I feel weird if I run out of it, but I can't for the life of me remember why I need it. It's an awkward herb. And god, I love when things are awkward.



So recently I've been trying to find some uses for it. This chicken dish is one of my favorites. The flavors all stand out really well (browned butter, sage, thyme) and the lemon juice marries everything together (with this squeeze, I thee wed... that would be one awkward ceremony). The buttery-ness of the sauce supports the sage flavor well. I wouldn't call it light, but I definitely wouldn't call it heavy. Serve with a vegetable dish or two.

Soundtrack: Speaking of #hippies... livephish.com. Do it. Summer requires it.

Sauteed Chicken with Brown Butter and Sage
adapted from Cooking Light
Serves 4

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, trimmed of fat and pounded 1/4 in. thick
salt and pepper
~1/2 cup ap flour
3 tbsp butter
1 tsp dried sage
1 tbsp minced onion
1/2 tsp dried thyme
2 tbsp lemon juice


Lay chicken flat on a cutting board or plate. Lightly season on both sides with salt and pepper. Allow to sit for just a few minutes. Place flour in a bowl and drag chicken breasts through to coat.


Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray and add chicken. Cook on both sides, for 4 minutes on each side, or until cooked through. Remove chicken from the pan.


Turn the heat down to low. Add the butter to the pan and move around constantly until melted. Add the onion and sage. Turn the heat up a bit and cook until the butter begins to brown (this should happen quickly, since the pan is heated; essentially you are beginning to burn the butter). Once butter is browned, add the thyme and cook for another 30 seconds. Remove from heat and add lemon juice.


Return the chicken to the pan and turn to coat in the sauce. Serve warm.





Also, this whole thing was shot on my iPhone... because well... I let my camera battery die. Not too shabby. Go iPhone.

No comments:

Post a Comment