Sunday, September 11

Ginger Spiced Brownies

Ok, after that last one I know I owe you guys something real. Because I'm just that loyal. 


Real brownies!
And because after traipsing around the mall and beyond with my mother yesterday I really needed a brownie. (read: after trying on clothes for a few hours and swearing to myself up and down that I'm going to start behaving myself, working out and eating well, I needed a brownie.) I'm sorta self motivated, too. Sue me.


But first, let's talk about how I watched The Departed last night. For the first time ever. It rules! If you haven't seen it, go watch it. Now. Yea, that's my in depth analysis of the movie. Hey, this is a FOOD BLOG after all!


You might not know this about me, but I'm totally the person in every conversation who has never seen the movie that everyone else is talking about. Trust me, if you're not this same type of person, you would definitely be balking at the list of acclaimed movies that I have never seen. I've been recently making an Adam-motivated effort to correct this, by apathetically viewing every movie he deems necessary. This may mean I'm watching an overwhelming amount of testosterone-approved cinema, but I guess I'm cool with that.


And hey, at least I've seen every Star Wars movie a few times over, or I have a feeling we just wouldn't be able to continue such an ill-founded relationship any longer.


PS. best picture ever? Yes.
Ok maybe this tops the Audrey/Ewok picture.
And one more thing before we get down the meat (or sugar and butter) of this post.


I'd like to take a moment to reflect upon the loss of life ten years ago today on 9/11/2001. Our generation will never forget the tragedy and the overwhelming sadness of the people of our nation. The memorial is breathtaking; the scene is unnerving. CNN.com offers some brilliant and emotionally charged photos: here. As we carry on with our lives, we will always remember the innocent victims and those who gave up their lives as heroes.


Now then, these brownies are the real deal. They're chocolate. They're buttery. They're sugary. And unlike this experiment, they aren't a natural laxative. They're a cake-like brownie, infused with the tang of ginger and cinnamon. Just the right chocolate-y snack to get you in the mood for autumn. Ahh, autumn. 


One note though: I ground my cinnamon fresh. I did this because the only cinnamon I had in my pantry was from Stop 'N Shop, which means I bought it in Poughkeepsie, NY and I haven't lived there in about 6 years. Now I'm no expert and I don't know exactly how long cinnamon can be used for, but that scared me. So I threw it out and ground a stick. I mention this only because if you are using already ground cinnamon you might need a little more, since I'm assuming fresh ground is more potent. (I also just want to expose my spice disorganization to the world.)


Soundtrack: New album from The Rapture: In the Grace of Your Love. And! Check out the review over at DPC: here.
  The Rapture - In The Grace of Your Love by modularpeople


Ginger Spiced Brownies
Adapted from Joy of Cooking


1/2 c (1 stick) butter
4 oz unsweetened chocolate
1 c AP flour
1/2 tsp baking powder4 eggs
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 c sugar
1 tsp 
vanilla extract
3/4 tbsp
fresh ground ginger
1/2 tsp fresh ground cinnamon, plus more for sprinkling

Preheat the oven to 350.



In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter and chocolate together, stirring until thoroughly combined. Set aside to cool. (I stick it in the fridge to bring it back to room temp. It's important that you allow this mixture to cool, though.)


In a small bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and cinnamon, until thoroughly combined. Set aside.


In a large bowl, beat eggs and salt on high with an electric mixer until the eggs are light in color and have a foamy texture. Gradually beat in sugar and vanilla. Continue beating the mixture until it is thick. Beat in the ground ginger.


Switch to a spatula and stir in the COOLED chocolate and butter mixture in as few strokes as possible. Add the flour mixture and stir, using as few strokes as possible to combine.


Pour batter into a greased 9x11 pan and bake for 35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cut once cooled and sprinkle with a light dusting of cinnamon.


Dis how we do!
Leave some for licking of course!

Storage






1 comment:

  1. We are one in the same! I haven't seen like any movies. Whatsoever. I'd like to attribute that to the fact I can't sit still for them haha : )

    ReplyDelete