Thursday, September 22

Spicy Thai Tofu

It's has been brought to my attention that I seem to concoct a lot of recipes with tofu. (Liiiike here and here... that's right, taking over the world, one tofu dish atatime!). I like tofu, sorry if you don't. A lot. Like, a lot, a lot. I'm a huge fan of the consistency. Yum, mush! No, I'm serious. I eat it cold sometimes, right out of the package. Is that so wrong? You would do it too... because I know you eat peanut butter out of the jar. And it's not that much different.


OMG! Look how awesome this picture is! Thanks for the camera lend Jer!
I've come a long way in my relationship with tofu. Let's go back in time here for a minute. Long, long, ago (probably about 1 year) in a galaxy far, far away, (Newtown, PA) to a time when I was naive to the mysterious ways of the tofu. I needed a little help. Afraid to cook with tofu, aside from using it in place of chicken in the occasional stir-fry with the best Teriyaki sauce ever, I needed a little help. I got this recipe from Adam's (you've met him, my Sue) mom.


She's an amazing cook. Amazing. I aspire to be more like her (I'm not sucking up, I swear. Ok, I am a bit, but I really do mean that!). She always has a stocked cupboard full of baking supplies (including vanilla...and other things that I run out of), which I consider to be pretty impressive in itself! She taught me to make bread. She roasts a mean tomato (great for omelettes!). She introduced me to Penzey's, which... no, on second thought I won't get started on that again. And the list really does go on and on. 


But, I got this recipe from her. And I know I can always trust a recipe from her. And you can definitely trust this recipe from me. I made one tiny change, adding in some eggplant, well, mostly because it was going bad in my fridge.


Soundtrack: After that last uber-nerdy post about my not-so-secret-anymore love of spices, I sort of feel a need to share with you folks that I do have a life. I swear, it's real! I have real life, tangible friends. And I went to visit them last Friday and we did real life things. Like shake our shit on a boat and booze until all hours of the AM and eat delicious bbq. And I also want to share with my small, but OH SO appreciated, audience the talented and amazing sounds of Simon Green (aka Bonobo) who rules, dates one of my best friends, and is slowly becoming a great friend of mine. No embed code, so you'll have to click the link, but you should. Bonobo - Last FM


Spicy Thai Tofu
Recipe very slightly adapted from Bon Appetit (viewed on Epicurious)


2 tbsp olive oil
2 large red bell peppers, seeded, thinly sliced
1 c eggplant, cut into cubes
3 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 package extra-firm tofu, pressed for 20 minutes, cut into 1-inch cubes
3 scallions, thinly sliced
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp dried red pepper flakes
6-8 oz baby spinach leaves (just about 1/2 a 1 lb bag)
1/3 c fresh basil, chopped
1/3 c sesame seeds


Heat oil over medium heat in a saute pan. Add bell pepper, eggplant, garlic and ginger and saute until the eggplant begins to soften (about 4 minutes). Season with salt & pepper. Add tofu and scallions and cook another 2-3 minutes. 


Add soy sauce, lime juice and pepper flakes and toss to coat. Cook another 2-3 minutes. Add spinach leaves in small additions. Stir to combine until just wilted. Season to taste with salt & pepper.


Remove from heat and toss in basil and peanuts. Serve over rice or with stir-fry noodles.


Step uno 
The dish!



No comments:

Post a Comment