Saturday, November 10

Creamy Pumpkin Orzo Skillet

As I become increasingly "old," I feel like I'm witnessing my perception of weekends changing so much. 

Back in college weekends were basically just an extension of the rest of the week. Exciting nonetheless, but when you're working part time and going to class even less... and let's be honest college was just a big party anyway.  
In the most recent years after graduating college weekends were a great way to revisit that college experience. Party all night, sleep until 11, 12 or even 1... etc. My only deterrence was this job thing that I had to do Monday-Friday.


But now... I'm getting kinda "old." As in.. I find myself relating to Thought Catalog posts like this one. As in.. last night I was going to go out, but had 2 glasses of wine and passed out before 10 PM. I mean, granted I was exceptionally tired, but I'm finding my weekends consisting of an increasing amount of "taking it easy tonight" and waking up around 8 AM. Which is great if you're going to puppy playtime (yea, it's probably what heaven is like) at 9 AM, but not so great if you want to attend anything that goes later than 12 AM.

Anyway, as I arose this morning around 7:30 (let's remember I went to sleep at 9:30 and a girl can only sleep so much), I realized how much more productive my weekends have become. I remember a time when I would have an issue getting anywhere before 12 PM. Now, I've shopped for groceries, played with puppies, and picked up my dry cleaning (yea that's another "adult" thing that's happening now) before 1. And now I'm blogging. And then I'm going to clean my apartment. Good God.. WHO AM I!?

I swear I'm going somewhere with all of this.

Anyway, anyone who can relate to anything I've said above knows what I'm talking about when I say that sometimes I'm too lazy to cook, but only because if I have to wash one extra dish it might be too much. Enter, the beauty of this orzo dish. One skillet! Plus of course a medium sized pot to cook your orzo, some measuring stuff, and a spatula. Thazit. And omgeee it's yum. And we've touched on how healthy pumpkin is here right?

I'm a messy cook       ^

Soundtrack:

Creamy Pumpkin Orzo Skillet
Serves 4

1 box whole wheat (or not) orzo pasta
1-15 oz can cooked & pureed pumpkin
1/2 c milk (I used 2%)
1/2 c crumbled goat cheese
1/2 c grated Pecorino Romano cheese (or Parmesan)
1 tbsp dried sage
1/2 tbsp aleppo pepper (or 1/4 tsp red pepper flake)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
~3-4 oz fresh baby spinach
1/2 c panko crumbs
Salt & pepper

Cook orzo according to package instructions, drain and set aside.

In a large cast iron skillet over medium low heat, combine pumpkin, milk, goat cheese, Romano cheese and all herbs and spices (including salt & pepper) with a silicone spatula. Continue to stir sauce until cheeses are melted and mixture is warmed. 

Stir in orzo and spinach. Continue to stir until pasta is coated and warmed. Spread evenly over skillet with the spatula. Sprinkle the top with panko crumbs.

Place the skillet under the broiler on high for 4-5 minutes, or until the crumbs are browned and toasty.

Serve warm.

Enter, easy clean up.

No comments:

Post a Comment