Thursday, November 15

Healthy Cranberry Applesauce

I totally love applesauce.




Last year, I made this jazzed up adult version of applesauce: Plum and Brandy Applesauce. I made this Caramlized Onion Applesauce to go with porkchops and, of course, I made quite a few batches of the original chunky kid stuff.

Since I realized how amazingly easy it is to make applesauce, I've been experimenting by adding other fruits, subbing sweeteners and varying seasoning.

I've been trying to find new uses for it, rather than just eating it with a spoon for a snack like a kid. Of course there's pork, but some of my favorites thus far:


To sweeten plain yogurt:





As a healthy sandwich spread: (the sammy featured here is cranberry applesauce, turkey, goat cheese and baby spinach)




Soundtrack:
Healthy Cranberry Applesauce
Yields: ~4 c applesauce

5-6 apples (try for a mix! I used 4 stayman and 2 granny smith), peeled and quartered
2 c water
1 c fresh cranberries
1 c agave nectar
1 cinnamon stick
a pinch of fresh nutmeg
a pinch of salt

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepot. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat to medium and simmer for 20-30 minutes, stirring often with a large wooden spoon. As the apples and cranberries begin to cook, mash them with the side or bottom of your spoon to gently break apart and facilitate cooking. 

Applesauce is finished when all apples and cranberries are cooked down to a sauce. This will be chunky. If you want a more smooth sauce, puree with an immersion blender or transfer to a blender or food processor. (If pureeing in a blender or food processor, make sure that sauce is cooled before doing so. Hot liquids can cause these equipment to break.)









No comments:

Post a Comment