Thursday, June 9

Caramelized Onion & BBQ Chicken Pizza

Let's talk Philadelphia. It's not known for it's pizza. While it has its merits, cheesesteaks, water ice, pretzels, I don't find many of them very enticing. Fortunately we've got one really go to pizza spot, but other than I'll make my own. Thank you very much.


Oh, hello. Yum!
One of the fun things about homemade pizza is that depending on how much time you have to spare (or are willing to spare) you can vary which components you spend time making (dough, sauce, toppings) to make it just as homemade as you'd like. If you're like me and you go home early from work on a day when it's 100 degrees outside (but feels like 1,000,000), then you make everything from the crust to the caramelized onions. Or you can buy everything (Trader Joe's has a great pizza dough and sauce) and it's just simple assembly from there. Or something in between, which is normally more my style.


I must confess, this caramelized onion and bbq chicken pizza comes from the menu of an ex-employer of mine. I used to eat it on the reg until we went our separate ways. The combo of sweet and spicy on this pizza is lit-er-a-ly to die for. The balance is really... um... magical? Can I say that without sounding really ostentatious? (Can I also just go off on a tangent here and mention that ostentatious is on of my favorite words, because it's well... ostentatious?) And then cheese. And cheese is good.


One note about the chicken: I used a breast because that's what I had sitting in the fridge. You could use leftover chicken or anything else you like. As long as it's cooked and tossed in Stubb's spicy bbq sauce and shredded. Ok fine, you can use whatever bbq sauce you like. One more note about the pictures: I didn't get that many of the actual pizza (ok, just one). Sorry, I was hungry. I hope you are still enticed. You should be.


So, let's begin.


Soundtrack: Gigawatt

Caramelized Onion & BBQ Chicken Pizza


1 med. onion, sliced lengthwise
1 tbsp EVOO
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
chicken breast, cooked and cubed
1/2 c bbq sauce (I suggest Stubb's Hickory Bourbon spicy or sweet)
1 pizza dough (store bought &prepper according to package directions or make your own! I used this recipe here and it was really good; chewy and soft, great flavor)
1 jar or 2 c. Pizza Sauce (see recipe below)
1-2 c. mozzarella cheese (depending on the size of your dough)
6 oz. ricotta cheese
salt & pepper


To make the onions: Heat EVOO in a frying pan over med heat. Add onions. Cook onions at med heat for about 15 mins, stirring every so often. The goal is to let them sit, so that they caramelize, but not long enough so that they burn. (Here is a good tutorial if you need it!) Lower the heat to low, add salt and pepper and the sugar. Cook another 20 mins, stirring every so often. Toss with balsamic vinegar and set aside.


To make the chicken: If you are starting with a raw chicken breast then cube, salt and pepper, and cook in a frying pan in some EVOO. Cook just until no pink remains. Take cooked chicken and toss in the bbq sauce. Use 2 forks to shred chicken. Set aside


The rest is just assembly! Preheat oven according to the directions on or with your dough. Flattened out the dough to make a large circle (or semicircle..). (Depending on your method of baking, you may want to bake the crust for 10 minutes before adding toppings so that the cheese doesn't burn. I use a cookie sheet and would highly recommend this. If using a preheated pizza stone, I don't believe it's necessary, but don't quote me) Cover in sauce, then sprinkle on mozzarella. Add ricotta in blobs, spreading them fairly evenly. Add chicken and onions. Bake for 20 minutes or until dough is cooked through. 


I was literally sobbing right about now!

Starting to cook...

So good. Literally a challenge not to eat them all RIGHT. NOW.

Best. BBQ. Sauce EVAAA. Except when I make my own,
then I win.

Oooo sauceeyy

Cheesey!

Pizza Sauce (use fresh herbs where possible)


1 can tomato paste
2 c. water
1 tbsp oregano
1 tbsp basil
1 tbsp rosemary
1 tsp  ground fennel seed
2 cloves garlic


Combine all ingredients in a large pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, then simmer until thickened. Yep, that easy. :)



Pieceout ya'll!! (get eat... b/c it's pizza!? heeheehee)





No comments:

Post a Comment