Monday, June 6

Zucchini Ribbon and Black Bean Topped Chicken

I've been in this mood lately where I just don't like to follow directions. I haven't picked up a recipe to make dinner in weeks. It feels good. Liberating, if you will. Not to say I don't browse for inspiration, but my measuring spoons would be rusting if I wasn't trying to record everything for you all. So they thank for for that; rusty spoons are no good (Sorry, that video actually gives me the heebeegeebs, but I had to.) I've felt particularly creative lately, which is nice because I really never thought of myself as a particularly creative person. So, go me! And go everyone reading this too, I love you mans. Group hug/kumbaya. 


Sorry folks, that was as much emotion as I'll ever torture you with (I actually can't promise that though). Let's get back to the real subject at hand here: foods. Mmmm.


Enough already, damn.
So, as you've probably inferred by now, (ooooh foreshadowing) this chicken dish is an on the fly mash-up. It was inspired by some leftover beans (if you're interested in how you too can acquire some leftover beans, please refer to Sunday's breakfast adventure) and an aging squash. I had originally wanted to make a mock pasta dish using the zucchini, but there just wasn't enough (more on that idea at a later date though!). So I ended up just plopping everything on top of the chicken breast and serving with a salad. The result was an appealing balsamic flavored chicken dish, slightly acidic with a tiny bite of heat, yet sweetened by sun-dried tomatoes. It's a quick throw-together and a healthy weeknight meal. 


One note on cooking the chicken: I mock "pan fried" mine in a grill pan in a little-bit-more-than-a-drizzle of olive oil. By cooking it in the grill pan, the chicken won't be fully saturated in oil because of the ridges, but you still get a pan fried chicken taste. I like the crisp flour coating on the chicken and I also tend to find that if I feel like I'm eating something that is bad for me it's more satisfying. So that's the scoop on the chicken preparation. Let's get started shall we?


Soundtrack - Bob Dylan - Modern Times  (Just love his voice... so. so. much)


Zucchini Ribbon and Black Bean Topped Chicken (serves 4)


4 med. chicken breasts, cleaned of fat and pounded (flat breasts, if you will)
1/3 c. whole-wheat flour
2 med. zucchini, cut into thin ribbons (using a vegetable peeler)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 c. chicken stock (or broth if that's what you have on hand)
1/4 c. balsamic vinegar
1 c. black beans, drained and rinsed
1/4-1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to your tastes, I used 1/2)
1 tsp oregano
1/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes, sliced
salt and pepper
EVOO


In a grill pan, heat a drizzle of evoo over medium heat. In a shallow dish (I use a pie plate for this) combine the ww flour, salt and pepper. Coat chicken breasts in flour and place onto the grill pan. Cook about 5-7 minutes on each side, until browned and cooked through.


Meanwhile, heat another drizzle of evoo over medium heat in a saute pan. Once oil is heated, saute the zucchini, garlic and a little salt and pepper for about 1 minute. Add in stock, vinegar, beans, red pepper flakes, and oregano. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in SDT's. Plate chicken and serve with zucchini and black bean topper. 


The A Team

Use a vegetable peeler to create ribbons!

Ingredient shot!
PS check out that recipe card I'm writing on to the left (<3 Becca!)

Sauteeing (sp!?) the ribbons!

Bring to a boil, turn down heat and simmer!

2 comments:

  1. Another Meghan perfection!! Sounds yummy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Meghan, Really? A link to salad fingers? And an ATeam reference!? HAHAHAHA I'm dying. Loves it.

    ReplyDelete