Wednesday, June 22

Raspberry Sweet Potato Muffins

Let's just be honest with ourselves for a minute. Most muffins are just an excuse to eat cake for breakfast. That's right. I said it. Because, let's just consider the difference between muffins and cake for a minute: ....wait... does anyone know what it is? I would expect that cupcakes should be sweeter and lighter, while muffins are slightly denser and fruity. But who here has never had a chocolate chip muffin? Strawberry cupcake? Certainly a cupcake will always have frosting right? Wrong. C'monnnn!.


Breakfast anyone?
But, all that confusion aside, this recipe makes it easy to say with certainty, "I am eating a muffin, not a personal cake for breakfast." Because these muffins are actually healthy and a great way to start the day. Promise! (PS I can't say muffin this many times and keep a straight face, thanks to this video right here). They are made with healthy grains (oat bran and wheat flour) and plain yogurt. The raspberries and sweet potato are great antioxidants and have many other great health benefits as well.


PS again, that Photoshop program I downloaded about 6 months ago... finally learning to use it! Go me! Go me! I've really recently been realizing that my camera just doesn't do some things justice, so my plan is to just learn to retouch the colors, do some background work, etc and really make you guys drool! And, if that means I can make sure I look great in every picture I have of myself, then so be it! That's a side effect I am just willing to live with. Check out my first attempt here:

Radioactive muffins! Eat one, and you could become.... THIS!
In which case, I'll have six!
So, for example, doesn't this look amazing:

Relax, your screen isn't growing raspberries
So, great things to come I promise! Like I said, it's only getting better from here, people!

And so, we are back to muffins. Let's get baking! This recipe was adapted from an original I found here, which also happens to be amazing (I like to add craisins to these). So give it a try as well! Maybe in the fall...

Soundtrack: Yacht - Shangri-La (interesting, I know)

Raspberry Sweet Potato Muffins 
Makes approximately 20 small muffins.

3/4 c oat bran
3/4 c whole wheat flour
2/3 c sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 c. sweet potatoes, boiled and mashed
1 large egg
2 large egg whites
2/3 c plain Greek yogurt
3 tbs vegetable oil
3/4 c fresh whole raspberries 

Preheat oven to 350. Prepare 20 muffin cups in trays and spray the bottoms with cooking spray.

Combine oat bran, wheat flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a medium bowl. Set aside. Combine sweet potatoes, eggs, oil and yogurt in a large bowl, using a whisk. (This will look really gross for quite some time. I'm sorry - tough it out.) Using a spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the wet until a batter is formed. Add in the raspberries, crushing them with the spatula as you stir.

Spoon 1/4 c of batter into each cup. Bake for 20-25 mins or until done (check with a toothpick!).

You will need to boil/mash a potato about this size!


I warned you... this part is gross!
Ok, I actually did this the opposite way that I instructed you.
I don't lead by example.

Batter up!
PS, I love this picture and had to share. From Cakespy

No comments:

Post a Comment