Monday, March 5

Crystallized Ginger & Chocolate Cookies

It's crazy how much longer weekends seem when you wake up earlier. I mean, ok it's not that crazy. Actually it makes sense.. but I'm really digging it. 






This Saturday, I had 5 loads of laundry done by 1 PM. Yea, 5!!! And I put them away too which, and I believe I have mentioned this before, usually takes me right around 3 days.


Then, I ate hummus and lounged. I walked around in my hood. I made cookies. I ate cookies. I gave myself a sweet mani. And topped it all off with some dancing.








Sunday, I gymed. I made a smoothie. Ate more hummus....and cookies (so much for all those calories burned..) And now I've been lounging for about 4 hours. It feels damn good. 


Free time is a beautiful thing and I rarely really do nothing (who does, really?). Just soaking it in... until of course I get cabin fever...






Sountrack:




Crystallized Ginger & Chocolate Cookies
Adapted from Betty Crocker
Yield about 3 1/2 dozen cookies (realistically)


3/4 c. brown sugar
3/4 c. sugar
1 c. butter, softened (just below* room temp for the perfect soft & gooey cookies)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 1/4 c. flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 bag (12 oz) dark chocolate mini chunks (or dark chocolate chips)
1 c coarsely chopped crystallized ginger
1/2 c coarsely chopped pecans (optional)


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.


Cream together the sugars and butter until just combined. Add egg and vanilla and continue to beat on medium speed until combined. 


Using a large spoon, stir in flour, baking soda and salt until a thick dough forms. Add in chocolate, ginger and nuts (if using). 


Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough onto ungreased cookie sheets, placing them about 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 minutes, or until cookies begin to brown on the edges, but are still soft in the center. (They will appear undone, but that is perfect. Stop there.) Cool on the cookie sheet for ~5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.


*Update: originally I had written above, but that was just my brain not working correctly. What I meant was slightly cooler than...






3 comments:

  1. I also treasure the free times I have during weekends. Sleeping a little bit longer =), cooking and doing the laundry. The rest of the day for my family. Much more fun munching delicious cookies like these =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very interesting recipe. We haven't tasted a ginger and chocolate combo before and your recipe sure looks a great way to start. Thanks for this lovely idea. They look sweet and spicy :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zane and Van - Yea, you guys really need to hop on board with chocolate and ginger! If you have a Whole Foods near you, they sell bulk crystallized ginger AND chocolate covered crystallized ginger, which would be the easiest way to get your fix! ;) If you try the cookies out, let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete