Wednesday, March 14

Sweet Potato & Curry Shepherd's Pie

Today was Pi day and, in case you live in a cave, that means one very important thing. You better be sure to eat some pie. If you didn't today because you didn't know, relax. It's not like you broke a mirror, but now that you know you have to keep up the tradition. Next year, you must eat pie.


My broiler's kinda wimpy, eh?
I mean... it's not like it's not the best tradition ever...


This year, being that we seem to be about a week's worth of temperature rise from bathing suit season, I decided to go a more savory route and skip the dessert. (That's not really why... but omg I had to mention the weather!! SO GLORIOUS!) 



Shepherd's pie was one of my favorite foods growing up. OR maybe I really hated it. Honestly, I think I really hated it. But I have a strong association with the traditional meat, mashed potatoes, and carrot dish and my childhood and I look at it very fondly now.


I tried to add as much nutrition as possible, subbing out some of the less beneficial elements with some tasty vitamin packed substitutions. I'm really not a huge meat and potatoes girl; I'd rather eat sweets any day anyway. I left the ground beef alone, because I don't have a problem with red meat on a nutritional level (that doesn't mean I'm going to start eating steak anytime soon, because... yuck), but it could certainly be subbed out with turkey if you want. And honestly, who really likes peas anyway?






Also, If you have a Whole Foods near you, we ate this with their bakery quinoa & flax bread. It has a touch of cardamom and went really well with the curry flavor!


Also, I will add a special thanks to my Grandmother, for pointing out that Sherpherd is NOT spelled "Shepard" and actually... that makes more sense anyway. HA!
Soundtrack:


Sweet Potato & Curry Shepherd's Pie
Adapted from Good Housekeeping
Serves 3-4

3 small to medium sweet potatoes
1/2 tbsp EVOO, divided
1 lb ground beef (I used 90/10)
1 tsp salt
 1 tbsp ap flour
1/2 tbsp hot curry powder
1/2 c chicken broth

1 c green beans, cut into ~1" pieces
1 1/2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
1/2 tbsp grated ginger

1/4 c milk

Pierce potatoes with fork, place in the microwave on a paper towel and cook for 6 minutes on each side.


Meanwhile, heat beef in a large sautee pan over medium heat. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp salt and cook 5 to 6 minutes, breaking the meat up and stirring frequently. Add flour and curry powder into beef and cook for another minute while stirring. 

Add broth and bring to a boil. Cook until the broth thickens slightly (about 1 minute). Remove beef from the pan and into a greased 1.5 quart baking dish.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 

Rinse skillet and dry. Return to burner and heat 1/2 tablespoon oil over medium until hot. Add carrots, green beans and onion, and cook, covered, about 6-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Mix in ginger and 1/4 tsp salt. The, remove from the pan to the baking dish.

While vegetables are cooking, if the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut potatoes in half and scoop flesh from skins into large bowl. (Be careful because the potatoes will feel cool but when split will release steam!) Mash the potatoes with a fork or potato masher, then stir in milk and 1/2 tsp salt. Spread the potatoes over vegetables.

Bake the pie 30 minutes, then move to broiler for 5 minutes. Allow to rest for 3-4 minutes, then serve hot.











animated gif maker
PS! check out these disappearing green beans!



1 comment: