Monday, October 10

Balsamic-BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos with Red Pepper & Apple Salsa

Guys, as we speak, I'm watching Kim Kardashian's wedding. I also secretly made pulled pork in my (borrowed & awesome) Crockpot last week. If neither of these things make you hate me, then we're in pretty good shape.

Why didn't I post said pulled pork? My logic was as follows. Crockpot pulled pork recipes are about a dime a dozen on the interwebz these days. Everyone's got a recipe. Everyone's ends up tasting like... pork covered in BBQ sauce. This varies according to BBQ sauce, of course. But you get the point. It's delicious... but it ain't nothin' different!

I used this recipe, from The Way the Cookie Crumbles. It's fabulous. Delicious. Easy. One pot deal. I couldn't stop sampling the meat as I was pulling it... ya know.. little bit for the bowl, little bit for me. Little bit for the bowl, little bit for me. Lather, rinse, repeat.

I used this Balsamic BBQ Sauce, from Giada. Also fabulous. Everything she creates is amazing. I made the sauce, used about 1/2, before allowing the sauce to reduce, for the end of the pork recipe. I reduced the rest and served it on the side. 

So now, ladies and gents, now I am regretting not taking any pics to share with you, since I'm bragging about it anyway. It's really much easier to make someone wish they were eating something when they can see exactly what they're missing. But take my word for it here I guess. Phenomenal combination.


But why, you ask, am I bragging now?


Well, because I made something that I loved with the leftovers. So you're going to have to bear with me for a moment here.


I don't really care how you acquire your leftover pork. Or maybe it's not even leftover at all. Maybe this is the main squeeze and sandwiches will be your leftovers. Or maybe you bought some reheat variety from the supermarket. Whatever your style, these tacos pretty much rule. Tangy balsamic bbq pulled pork, contrasted with a fresh, sweet salsa and topped with an chipotle "sour cream," these are quick, easy and full of flavor.

Soundtrack:
HELLO by Ronaldo Vetro  

Balsamic-BBQ Pulled Pork Tacos with Red Pepper & Apple Salsa
Serves: 3-4


  • 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 1/2 red onion, chopped
  • 1/4 c cilantro, chopped
  • honey crisp apple
  • juice from 1/2 lime
  • juice from 1/2 lemon
  • 1 can black beans
  • 1/2 tsp adobo sauce
  • 1/2 c plain greek yogurt
  • dash of chile powder
  • dash of garlic powder
  • dash of paprika
1 lb pulled pork (perfect for leftovers!)
1/2 c. Balsamic BBQ sauce (or your favorite BBQ sauce)
1 c. finely grated Monterrey Jack cheese
1 pkg small corn tortillas


  • In a small bowl, combine bell pepper, onion and cilantro. Chop apple. Immediately add to bowl with pepper, onion and cilantro. Quickly toss with lime and lemon juices (to prevent browning). Set aside.

  • In another small bowl, combine greek yogurt and adobo sauce using a whisk. (Yea, ok sounds weird. I SWEAR you can't tell it's not sour cream. I never use an entire container of sour cream, but yogurt I definitely will eat. So this is a great sub.) Set aside.
Place can of black beans in a small sauce pot over medium heat. Season with a dash of garlic, paprika & chile powder. Heat until warm & drain. Transfer to a small serving bowl.

Meanwhile, warm pulled pork (nuke it, cook it, etc) and toss in bbq sauce. Transfer to a small serving bowl.



Warm tortillas over a frying pan. Lay out pork, beans, salsa, cheese "sour cream" and tortillas. Dig in and have fun building!



Put the lime in the Coke you nut!
Autumn Salsa!
Tip: Use 1/4 tsp of sauce for this "Sour Cream"
then, freeze the chile's in bags of 2-3 to use in recipes
(most call for 2-3 chiles)

Taco night <3!



No comments:

Post a Comment