Thursday, October 13

Pumpkin Infused Thickest-Ever Brownies

For the main event:

Chocolate + Fall
But first, I have a few questions, comments, concerns that I feel need to be addressed.

1) Chocolate and pumpkin smell amazing baking in the oven together. They taste just as great in batter licked from the end of a spatula. You might not want to actually make the brownies. But I suggest you do. And then share them. Your thighs will thank me. (Can you tell I had that inner dialogue with myself already?)

2) I dropped an entire container of toothpicks into my oven. That's right. Wooden toothpicks and a hot oven vs Meghan. Who will win? A few caught on fire. Thank god for tongs (not thongs... ok, maybe those too.. panty lines, ew). I came out on top.

3) I left my bike outside last night. It rained. This was after I got lost for 30 minutes while trying to ride my bike to Fed Ex to pick up a certified check that I ordered to pay a speeding ticket. Then, when I attempted to drive to work I noticed that my front left tire was flat. I certainly feel that I deserve another brownie. Or two.




4) Does anyone else secretly love gloomy days? Just a tip: it's fun if you refer to the weather as blustery and pretend you live in the 100-acre wood.

5) I don't think I've been drinking enough wine lately. Someone please bring me a glass! Something red.

6) I'm currently obsessed with winter squashes. Did you know that a pumpkin is a squash? Let me apologize now before this goes any further and morphs into something like my goat obsession.

7) I love this website.

8) Do you think these brownies are too big?
Good, because I don't
9) What amount of excitement about the opening of Federal Donuts next week is appropriate? At what point is it too much? I'm so excited, I'm so excited...


10) My recipe to-do list is getting really long. So much food. So little time. In order to get all of this done I might have to quit my job, stop cleaning my room, stop doing any cleaning at all, and stop doing laundry. Don't worry, I will, of course, continue to work out and see friends, because I gotta be healthy. Who wants to volunteer to do all these things for me? Hands?


11) Sure, I'll stop blabbing and just show you the recipe. Sheesh. Wait! One more note, it's about the recipe! These brownies involve making what I like to call, a "master batter." Then dividing that batter into 2 bowls and combining it with different ingredients. So, go on. Get your master batter on!


Soundtrack: Real Estate (Myspace Link)

Pumpkin Infused Brownies
Adapted from Pumpkin Swirl Brownies, by Martha Stewart

8 tbsp unsalted butter
6 oz bittersweet dark chocolate chips
2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 c sugar
4 large eggs
1 tbsp vanilla extract
1 1/4 c pumpkin puree
1/4 c canola oil
1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat the over to 350 and line a 8 inch square pan with parchment paper. Spray the lined pan with cooking spray.


In a small saucepan, over low heat, melt together the butter and chocolate chips, stirring constantly. Set aside and allow to cool completely.
In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cayenne pepper, and salt with a whisk. Set aside. 

In a large bowl, beat together the sugar, eggs and vanilla until the mixture is very pale yellow and has a sponge-like consistency, about 3-4 minutes. Beat in the flour mixture until thoroughly combined.


Take about 2 cups of the batter and put it back in the medium sized bowl from the flour mixture. Set aside.


Do these next few steps quickly in order to keep the batter from thickening and setting. 


To the batter in the large bowl, add the pumpkin, oil, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Stir to combine and set aside. To the batter in the medium bowl, add the chocolate mixture and stir until combined. (You will want to mix the pumpkin first as the chocolate has a tendency to set faster.)


Pour half of chocolate batter into the pan. Then, pour half of the pumpkin batter. Then, the rest of the chocolate. Then, the rest of the pumpkin. Using a knife, gently swirl the batters together to create a marbled effect. This involves some smooth up and down scooping motions. Don't over swirl or you will just mix everything up.


Top with walnuts and bake for 60 minutes. (Yea, I know. LONG. Alternately, you could bake in a 9 in square pan for 40 minutes, but I like the huge layers.)


Ahh, I really love opening a new bag of flour.
Cayenne! Bam!
Recipe calls for 4 eggs, I had 4 eggs. These brownies were fate!
Yea, a whole tablespoon
Marble
Battle of the dueling batters!

Brown maze


2 comments:

  1. FYI. When I read "master batter" I read something COMPLETELY different and felt a little uneasy. Upon second read I realize that's not what you were trying to say at all. I want those brownies - I will trade you brownies for apple pie cookies! : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually Becca, that was TOTALLY the point. LOL I'll trade you brownies, but I want the pumpkin donuts.

    ReplyDelete