Tuesday, October 18

Millet Stuffed Red Bell & Poblano Peppers



Millet. Remember that stuff? We tossed it in these breakfast cookies. It added a nice crunch and some healthy stuff... and then we dreamed about all the other quick breads and breads and muffins we could add it to. 

No? That last part was just me? Huh... funny. 

Well, we definitely debated how to pronounce it. Mill-ette or mill-ay... or something else? 

No? Just me again? Huh...

Interesting.



The genius idea to stuff it into peppers came from this recipe, on A Couple Cooks (just an adorable blog that I follow that shares lots of healthy and tasty recipes). It's a fabulous recipe if I do say so myself! Not only delicious, but quick and easy too! I customized according to what I had in my fridge and pantry, and you could do the same.

I actually declared this the most delicious thing I've made in the past couple weeks, if that entices you at all! It should.

Speaking of enticing, roasting peppers in the oven fills the air with such an amazing aroma. By the end of the 30 minutes, I had already been asked twice what the delicious smell was (and I only live with 2 people) and I'm fairly sure we were all drooling in anticipation.

.... No, that definitely wasn't just me.


Soundtrack:


Website Feed by Little Dragon  


Millet Stuffed Red Bell & Poblano Peppers
Inspired by Quick Stuffed Bell Peppers by A Couple Cooks

3 red bell peppers
3 poblano peppers
1 1/2 c millet
3 c water
4-5 green onions
1 jalapeno pepper
1 can light kidney beans, drained and rinsed
1 can diced tomatoes, drained
1/2 c freshly grated Monterrey Jack cheese
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp ground coriander
dash of Chile powder
Juice of 1/2 lime
Salt, Pepper, EVOO

Preheat oven to 450 degrees.

Cut bell and poblano peppers in half, trim the edges and remove seeds. Cover a baking sheet with tin foil and spray with cooking spray. Lay the peppers insides facing up on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place in the oven and roast for about 30 minutes. (This smells amazing, btw.)


Meanwhile, prepare the millet. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, toast millet for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add 3 1/2 c of warm water, 1/2 tbs EVOO, and about 1/4 tsp of salt. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to low. Cook, covered, over low heat for about 20 minutes, or until grain is soft and the water is absorbed.


While millet and peppers are cooking, dice the green onions and jalapeno peppers. Combine in a large bowl the onions, jalapenos, kidney beans, diced tomatoes, and cheese.


Once millet is finished cooking, fluff with a large spoon. Add to the bowl with the rest of the filling ingredients and stir until combined and cheese is melted.


Stuff each pepper with a heaping spoonful of filling, squeeze lime juice over stuffed peppers, and serve immediately, while hot.


Halved.
Cleaned.
Stuffed. (Ok, ok, I skipped ahead)






 

No comments:

Post a Comment