Monday, October 24

Pumpkin Pie with Walnuts & Dark Chocolate Ganache "Frosting"

So, I love pie. Who doesn't love pie? Show of hands? Great, I don't see any, so I'm going to assume that everyone loves pie. 

But here's the thing about pie that makes it less cool than cake. Frosting. Pie is all delicious and all, but cake will always one-upper it in my book because of the frosting. And honestly, I don't really even like cake itself all that much. No, actually I don't like cake at all. I just really, really like frosting.

But seriously, who says pie can't have frosting? Can't a pie get a little love around here?


We already learned that pumpkin and chocolate are abs-o-lutely amazing together. (Ok, well I learned it. If you haven't yet, start here.) So I think pairing pumpkin pie filling with ganache was the next logical step. It's so obvious. It's so amazing. I love pie. I love ganache. C'mon people, SAY IT WITH ME!

But here's the part about pie where I think you just have to lighten up a bit. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking about making a pie crust and you're shaking you're head no. Mine was pretty sub par this time around. I'll admit it. I can't make a flaky pie crust to save my life. It's about practice I guess. But this pie was still delicious. That's the thing about pumpkin pie. The crust isn't the main event. It's a good "experiment with me" pie. And how will you learn if you never try? (Or maybe you're really good at making pie crust. But if you are, damn man, what are you sitting there listening to me ramble on for? You should be the one blogging, not me!)


Either way I have some advice for you:

Do a little dance. 
Make a little crust. 
Eat pie tonight. Eat pie tonight.


Soundtrack: Neutral Milk Hotel
Neutral Milk Hotel by rags9000

Pumpkin Pie with Walnuts & Dark Chocolate Ganache "Frosting"


For Pumpkin Pie:


1-9" pie crust (use your favorite recipe, I can't even pretend like I know anything)
1 1/4 c solid pack pumpkin puree
3/4 c sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp cardamom
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp flour
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 c evaporated 2% milk
2 tbsp water
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/4 c chopped walnuts


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a 9" pie pan with your pie crust. Shape the edges and set aside.


In a small saucepan, heat pumpkin puree, sugar, salt, ginger, cardamom, & ground cinnamon. (You can skip this step if using fresh pumpkin, but supposedly this eliminates any metal can taste. It also just smells nice.)


Transfer to a medium bowl and mix in flour. Add eggs and mix well. Add evaporated milk, water and vanilla and mix well. 


Pour pie filling into the crust and sprinkle walnuts evenly throughout the batter. Bake at 400 for 15 minutes, reduce heat to 350 and bake another 35, until cooked through in center.


Allow pie to cool and top with Dark Chocolate Ganache. Allow to cool 8 hours or overnight, to allow ganache to set.


For Dark Chocolate Ganache:


3/4 c heavy cream
8 oz dark chocolate chips


In a microwave safe bowl, microwave cream for 1 1/2-2 minutes, until just boiling. (Alternately, you can do this over the stove. But at this point, you're feeling lazy, like me!) Pour cream over dark chocolate chips and beat rapidly with a whisk until smooth, creamy and glossy. If your ganache breaks, check here for some tips.


Dis is how we roll!
Better than Yankee Candle
Add eggs...

Naked pie
Drop in walnuts


Ganache!
Drizzle in fun patterns.. FOR FUN!






No comments:

Post a Comment